Eggs are an incredibly versatile and cost-conscious food that can be enjoyed on all Phases of the South Beach Diet. And you'll find plenty of recipes that utilize eggs on the South Beach Diet Online. Some, like egg-white omelets and meringue toppings, require separating an egg, which means separating the white from the yolk. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to master this skill:
1. Choose the freshest eggs possible; they separate more easily than older eggs.
2. Take one egg and lightly crack it at its midpoint on the edge of a bowl. (Glass, ceramic, or stainless steel work best — a plastic bowl isn't hard enough.)
3. Then turn the crack upright, place your thumbs on either side of it and carefully pull the shell open, keeping the entire contents in one of the halves.
4. Over the bowl, gently slide the egg yolk back and forth between the two halves, allowing the egg white to drop into the bowl but keeping the egg yolk in the shell. Be careful not to pierce the yolk on the rough edge of the shell because this will cause some of the yolk to drip into the white. A little yolk in your whites is not a problem if you are making an omelet, but beware — if there’s even a speck of yolk in your egg whites, they will not form stiff peaks.
5. Once all the white part of the egg is in the bowl, you can discard the shell and yolk or put the yolk into a separate container for later use.