Craving something crunchy? Give up the chips, and go for a healthier choice, like nuts, seeds, or raw veggies — or one of our new nutritionally balanced South Beach Diet snack or cereal bars. Here are some Phase-specific snack suggestions that pack a crunch!
- Raw veggies — including green or red bell peppers, cauliflower and broccoli florets, or jícama sticks. Serve with reduced-fat cheese, nonfat Greek yogurt flavored with cumin, or a bean-based dip.
- Celery sticks with 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter (they count toward your daily nuts/seeds allowance). Look for natural peanut butter with 1 g of sugar or less per 2 tablespoons.
- Soy nuts or dry-roasted edamame (count 1/4 cup toward your daily nuts/seeds allowance)
- Almonds, walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts, pistachios, dry-roasted peanuts, or other nuts (limit your serving as recommended and count it towards your daily nuts/seeds allowance)
- Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds (count 1 ounce or 3 tablespoons toward your daily nuts/seeds allowance)
Phases 2 and 3
You can also enjoy Phase 1 snacks on Phases 2 and 3.
- Carrot sticks with 2 ounces (1/4 cup) of hummus
- Whole-grain crackers (3 g or more fiber per serving) with a spreadable cheese wedge
- High-fiber, low-sugar, whole-grain cereal (choose a low-sugar brand with 5 g or more fiber per serving)
- Air-popped or microwavable popcorn (3 cups; check the label to be sure it doesn't contain trans fats)
- Apple or pear slices
- Frozen grapes
- Toasted whole-wheat pita bread (choose varieties with 3 g fiber per pita), cut into triangles; enjoy with an individual container of hummus
- Toasted whole-wheat or whole-grain tortillas or wraps, cut into triangles; serve with salsa or a bean-based dip
- 100-Calorie South Beach Diet Snack Bar or a Good to Go Bar
- South Beach Diet Sweet Delights: Dark-chocolate-covered soynuts or dark-chocolate-covered sunflower seeds