Craving something crunchy? Skip the chips and go for a healthier choice, like nuts, seeds, or raw veggies — or one of our new nutritionally balanced South Beach Diet Snack Bars or Protein Fit Bars. Here are some crunchy Phase-specific snack suggestions that are perfect midmorning or midafternoon!
Phase 1 Snacks
- Raw veggies — including green or red bell peppers, cauliflower and broccoli florets, radishes, or jícama sticks. Serve with reduced-fat cheese, nonfat Greek yogurt flavored with cumin, or a bean-based dip.
- Celery sticks with 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter or another nut butter (the nut butter counts toward your daily nuts/seeds allowance). Look for natural peanut butter with 1 g of sugar or less per 2 tablespoons.
- Soy nuts or dry-roasted edamame (count 1/4 cup toward your daily nuts/seeds allowance)
- Almonds, walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts, pistachios, dry-roasted peanuts, or other nuts (limit your serving to 1/4 cup max or follow the guidelines for individual nuts on our Foods to Enjoy list and count it towards your daily nuts/seeds allowance)
- Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds (count 1 ounce, or 3 tablespoons, toward your daily nuts/seeds allowance)
- South Beach Diet Jumpstarts Carb Control Snack Bars for Phase 1 dieters. Free from artificial flavors, sweeteners and sugar alcohols, they pack a delicious punch full of crunchy almonds, peanuts, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, and coconut flakes with plenty of protein and fiber to fill you up.
Phases 2 and 3 Snacks
You can also enjoy Phase 1 snacks on Phases 2 and 3.
- Carrot sticks with 2 ounces (1/4 cup) of hummus
- Whole-grain crackers (3 g or more fiber per serving) with a spreadable cheese wedge
- High-fiber, low-sugar, whole-grain cereal (choose a low-sugar brand with 5 g or more fiber per serving)
- Air-popped or microwavable popcorn (3 cups; check the label to be sure it doesn't contain trans fats and a lot of sodium)
- Apple or pear slices
- Frozen grapes
- Toasted whole-wheat pita bread (choose varieties with 3 g fiber per pita), cut into triangles; enjoy with an individual container of hummus
- Toasted whole-wheat or whole-grain tortillas or wraps, cut into triangles; serve with salsa or a bean-based dip
- 100-Calorie South Beach Diet Snack Bar or a Good to Go Bar
There are also plenty of healthy, gluten-free snack options to enjoy on every Phase of the South Beach Diet Gluten Solution Program. Check out Dr. Agatston’s book The South Beach Diet Gluten Solution for ideas or use our Recipe Finder on the site to search for delicious gluten-free snack recipes. Not a member? Join the South Beach Diet Gluten Solution Program.